It makes sense: a flourishing housing market should mean a quick sale, right?
Surprisingly, many still struggle to sell their homes—regardless of the state of the housing market. Even with increasing demand, sellers are unable to make a profit from their home or sell it in a reasonable amount of time.
If your house isn’t selling on MLS fast enough, perhaps it is time to consider what you could be doing differently. Here are five things to do to sell your home fast:
1. Be More Flexible
Homes generally have a certain level of personal value. This sentimental attachment, no matter how small, can result in a slightly clouded view of the home’s worth.
Sellers may unknowingly hinder the chances of making a sale when they are inflexible regarding:
- The Price – An unwillingness to adjust the asking price will leave you without an offer. Although it is understandable to strive for a profitable sale, realistically it is in your best interest to leave some wiggle room. High asking prices are typically the most common reason a home just won’t sell (source).
- Showing the Home – Although your schedule is busy, working with your realtor to show the home as often as possible will increase your chances of selling quickly.
2. Step Up Your Advertising Game
Do you have a target market audience? You should. Now, consider what is important to your potential buyers and make updates online to:
- Your Photos – Make sure the photos online include multiple angles and bright, natural light. Many online services allow you to even create a virtual tour. Draw your viewers in with varied, interesting images.
- The Home Description – Don’t be afraid to get creative. You pulled your viewers in with excellent photos, now hold their interest with a visual, warm and imaginative description of the home. Be honest, but make sure to really focus on all of the wonderful aspects of the property. Include the little details, such as the price and square footage as well. And while you’re at it, why not utilize social media? Reach out to the public with your own Facebook campaign, create a listing on online classified services (such as Craigstlist) and reach out to friends and family to help spread the word. Make your listing really stand out.
3. Give Your Home Some Much Needed TLC
If your home isn’t selling fast enough, chances are either your price is too high, the location is not desirable or the house needs a facelift.
This doesn’t mean you need to shell out thousands of dollars in maintenance or remodeling. Instead:
- Make Sure the Home Is Clean – While it’s important to sweep, mop and dust, it’s also a good idea to remove any items that have too much “personality.” When showing a home, keep the interior design neutral and consider home staging to show the house has potential.
- Give Your Home a Makeover – You’d be surprised what a fresh coat of paint or a manicured front yard will do for a property on the market. Similarly, a home that is in good condition but has old water stains is much less likely to sell, so tend to those little quick-fixes and see the results (source).
4. Take a Break from the Market
Believe it or not, the key to selling your home faster may mean withdrawing from the market for a few months. That’s right—if your home is listed for too long, potential buyers will:
- Think something is wrong with the home, because no one is buying it
- Attempt to negotiate the price way below market value
- Miss your listing entirely, as it gets buried over time
Take this time to consider your price, your target market and your competition. Rejoin the market once you have refocused your listing.
5. Let Fair Property Buyers Do All of the Work for You
Realistically, selling your home in today’s market can take time. What’s more, after months on the market, there’s a good chance you won’t receive the price you were asking for.
If you don’t have the time to wait, Fair Property Buyers can take care of everything for you.
We buy homes in any condition, at any time and take care of all of the tedious work so you don’t have to.
If you don’t have the time or the energy to wait for your home to sell, call Fair Property Buyers for a complimentary consultation.